Van Maintenance Checklist
At 7 Ways Rental we pride ourselves on keeping all our vehicles in tip-top condition.
When you hire a vehicle you expect that it will be in excellent condition and perfect working order.
7 Ways Rental carry out a thorough inspection of all vehicles before they are hired out so you can be confident that the vehicle you are renting is safe and roadworthy.
However there are a few simple checks you can carry out on your own car or a hired vehicle before you drive anywhere:-
TYRES AND WHEELS
Always check as much of your tyres and wheels as you can see before starting a journey.
Failing to ensure a tyre is safe and legal can result in receiving 3 penalty points on your licence per tyre.
- A tyre should have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm
- Be sufficiently inflated
- Have no deep cuts in the sidewall
- No cord visible anywhere on the tyre
- No missing or insecure wheel-nuts
- All exterior lights and indicators should be working and clearly visible
- All interior lights on the dashboard should work correctly
WASHERS AND WIPERS
- Wipers should move continually when switched on
- Wiper blades should be in good condition and clear the windscreen effectively when used with washers
- Wind screen washers should work and contain washer fluid
HORN AND STEERING
- The horn control should be easily accessible from the driver’s seat
- The horn should work when its control is operated
- The steering should not have any excessive play
MIRRORS AND GLASS
- All mirrors should be properly aligned and secure
- Check that you have a clear view of the road in all directions and that it is not obscured by damaged/discoloured glass or obstructions such as stickers
- Test the foot / service brake works correctly and does not have any excessive travel
- Test the hand / parking brake works correctly and does not have any excessive travel
SEATS AND SEATBELTS
- All seats should be secure
- All seatbelts should operate correctly and the straps must not be frayed and free from cuts