Top Tips for Parking a Van
If you are driving a van for the first time, you may be worried about the size and feel of a van, especially if you are hiring a large van, such as a Luton or a long wheelbase van.
Modern vans are much easier to drive than you might think – the models we use at 7 Ways Rental have good power-assisted steering and a small steering wheel to make it easier to manoeuvre the van, however there is much less visibility than in a car.
Besides driving around in a much larger vehicle one of the concerns that many people have when they hire a van is ‘how will I park the van?’
So we have put together a few tips to help:
- Visibility- most vans do not have a rear view mirror and no rear windows. To see behind you, use your wing mirrors or stick your head out of the window.
- Assess the situation- don’t be afraid to get out of the van and have a look at the space you are parking in, particularly if it is dark.
- Get help – ask someone to guide you, particularly if you have to go into a parking bay at a sharp angle.
- Take it easy- if you are going slowly and steadily even if you touch another vehicle it is unlikely there will be any damage.
- Watch out for the rear overhang - the van body sticks out a long distance behind the rear wheels and this can cause problems when parking alongside a wall, if you turn too quickly you will hit the wall, so ease forward slowly and then turn gently.
- If you’re parking in a parking bay then try reversing in if possible, as this will give you a better overview of your surroundings when pulling away.
If you are thinking of hiring a van, ring the 7 Ways Rental sales team on 0161 440 0009