A Guide to Moving House from 7 Ways
For DIY removals, it is vital that you start by hiring the right van.
Many 7 Ways customers use our van rental service for moving house as we offer a wide range of vehicles big or small enough to suit any purpose.
Moving is no easy task. It takes time, preparation and planning to pack your life into a van and move into your new home, but with our simple guide, your move should go as smoothly and as stress free as possible.
Choosing Your Van
If you have never rented a van before, arranging a rental vehicle for a house move can be a bit confusing.
When choosing the right van for you, 7 Ways Rental will be able to advise you based on your requirements, and help you choose an appropriate sized vehicle for your needs.
- For small flats without the burden of too much furniture then consider Ford Transit LWB to get the job done in one go.
- Larger house moves will be more suited to one of our Luton vans with a tail lift.
- If you’re moving alone then consider a medium sized van such as the Ford Transit MWB (or similar.)
Before You Move
Planning is crucial so you’ll need to think about the following things well in advance.
- Book your 7 Ways hire van at least 2 weeks before the date you intend to move.
- Declutter – Moving house is the perfect time to have a clear out so get rid of broken or unwanted items to save yourself the hassle of moving dead weight.
- Make sure you will be able to park close enough to your destination at both ends - check for height and width restrictions and apply for a parking permit for your van or truck if needed.
- Prepare a list of items that you will be taking with you - think about how, and in what order, you are going to pack everything.
- Collect your van from your local 7 Ways branch.
- Last Checks - Ensure you check every room has been emptied, behind doors, inside any built in cupboards, the loft and garage, and any wall hangings/mirrors that need to be taken down and put in the van.
- Load the van carefully – Place larger, sturdier items at the bottom of the van, with more fragile items towards the top.
- Make sure everything is properly secured before you set off.
- Park as close as you can to your new home to make unloading a great deal easier.
Finally, our best tip is to take the move one step at a time.
Moving house is reportedly the third most stressful life event after death and divorce so don’t force yourself to unpack everything as soon as you move in. Take some time to relax with a cup of tea when your essentials are unpacked on moving day, and worry about the rest tomorrow!
For any other information on how we can help you on your moving day contact us at 7 Ways Rental today!